Since its beginnings, Hayes has been helping organizations develop and deliver effective Performance Management processes. Hayes provides the full-scale process from design to training and implementation of the new process. Hayes also helps an organization to enhance their existing program, assessing, tweaking the process and/or providing training for managers and employees.
Hayes has worked with over 100 companies on performance management processes. We design or revise the process, train managers and employees or train trainers, write or edit forms. Our goal is to implement a process that drives results and makes a positive contribution to the bottom line!
Our research and experience says that the absence of a quality Performance Management process with inadequate training results in:
- Lack of focus and direction regarding performance expectations and goals
- Absence of quality interactions between managers and employees around performance issues
- “Everyone” receiving the “same” performance ratings or Inequitable ratings — “high” raters and “low” raters or ratings that don’t correspond to real performance
- Weak succession planning because of the lack of quality feedback upon which such plans are built
- Managers that are weak coaches
- Lack of relationship between performance and rewards (no pay-for-performance)
- Ratings that don’t reflect the entire year
- Employees with little or no knowledge of how they can have an impact on their performance results
- Performance management forms that are tedious and difficult to use
- No clear competencies [what it takes to achieve goals and objectives]
- Performance management processes that have little or no impact on helping “drive results”
THE HAYES APPROACH
The Hayes approach remains high-touch communication between the manager/leader and employee and goes beyond the electronic aids that provide a menu of phrases of what to say.
Using Hayes performance management processes with their training results in:
- Direct and positive impact on bottom line results
- More highly motivated employees
- Employees who are better equipped for more responsibility
- Greater retention of high potential employees
- Greater use by employees of their discretionary efforts
- Clarity in performance expectations and goals for all employees
- Managers that are highly skilled coaches — well equipped to provide quality performance feedback
- Greater trust by employees in the company and their managers — (communicated with more frequently and treated fairly)
Successful performance management includes quality communication and training that lead managers and employees to . . .
- a better understanding of the performance management process and how to use it effectively (including objectives and competencies)
And allows managers to be skilled in…
- being “tough on problems and gentle with people” as they use the process
- how to prepare for employees’ reviews, interact during the review, and get the maximum impact from it
- how to be consistent in their reviews in relation to how the direct report really did
And teaches employees how to…
- prepare for their own personal review, interact during the review, and get the maximum benefit from it
Organizational Research and Preparation. Hayes consultant(s) research the existing performance management processes and review all forms and related materials used. This research also includes patterned interviews and/or focus groups with a cross section of those who will use the process. Hayes will use their research and experience to include best practices from multiple organizations.
Development of Effective Performance Management Process. From the research, Hayes works with the client to develop a comprehensive performance management process. This includes the form and process for focusing on responsibilities, objectives, competencies, and personal develop needs. It also includes the details for the administration of the process (timing, who does what, relation to compensation, etc.). Hayes will also work with clients to integrate the Performance Management Process into software packages (either off-the-shelf or customized).
Development of Performance Management Training Workshops. Hayes consultants design and develop a special Performance Management Training Workshop for all those involved in the new process. Managers are trained in the workshop so that the results of the PMP are maximized. Special training is highly recommended for employees on what to expect and how to interact with the manager.
Communication Rollout. Hayes consultants work with the client to roll out the new Performance Management Process, including introductory communications, rollout plans, train-the-trainer plans, and implementation timing.
Training. Hayes consultants provide the training for managers and/or employees or will train others to provide the training. Sometimes the Performance Management training can be done through e-learning /computer based training.
Hayes Customized Training Technique
Hayes uses the “TELL-SHOW-DO-FEEDBACK” method to maximize skills from the training process. Skill-development practice sessions use real life examples. The discussion takes place with the trainer playing the roles of the employee and the participant being themselves in the Performance goal setting, feedback session or final review. Discussions are recorded for later review by the participant and a small team of participants, plus the trainer. Self-discovery and feedback from others creates the maximum learning environment.
Clients can choose from multiple training options. Shown here is one example of an on-going training process.
Session 1 –Communicating Performance Expectations Successfully
(preparation, the interaction, and follow-up)
Session 2 –Coaching Skills and Keeping Up with the Process
Session 3 –Conducting Effective Performance Reviews (preparation, the
interaction, and follow-up).
Note: In each of the sessions, the participants bring and use real performance data. In fact, they leave the training session having worked through a real upcoming performance evaluation. Some organizations choose only to do basic communication, while others may do all three training sessions or a combination of the three sessions.
Examples Of Hayes Performance Management Initiatives
ABB – designed and developed customized Performance Management Process for North America Utilities division. Included fully customized training in the process and coaching.
COACH LEATHERWARE – Designed and implemented total Performance Management process, including training of managers and employees.
GKN –designed, developed and implemented a worldwide performance process. Has been successfully used for over 10 years.
HARVARD UNIVERSITY – developed and implemented a communication and performance system for over 7,000 support workers from the various colleges of the university.
NABISCO – revised a previous performance system and assisted in its implementation.
WESTINGHOUSE – revised a previous performance system to a competency-based process. Responsible for the training and rollout at multiple locations. Developed an interactive intranet/CD-Rom training module for use by field engineers around the world. Simultaneously, implemented competency-based 360º feedback surveys. Has been successfully used for over 10 years.
YAZAKI – trained and implemented a client-developed performance management system for selected manufacturing sites. Continues to be used.Request Now